July 4, 1881. Booker T. Washington’s famed agricultural-industrial institution was built from the ground up by dedicated students seeking academic and vocational training. The institute started in a shanty before Washington purchased an abandoned plantation at Tuskegee, Alabama, USA. The students built the dormitories, classrooms and chapel from bricks out of their own kiln.
Image: Public Domain, located via wikipedia.org.