Here is a list of events and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging. Here’s what is happening in the coming week:
Well just a note to say that all the blogiversaries are dominated by great blogs that are part of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits – just take a look!
- The Graveyard Rabbit of South Alameda County marks its 1st blogiversary on Friday, October 23, 2009. Stop by and visit Cheryl Palmer’s site and say hello!
- The Graveyard Rabbit of Rural New York Cemeteries also marks its 1st anniversary on on Friday, October 23, 2009.
- The Oracle Of OMcHodoy run by Colleen McHugh, celebrates four years – has it been that long? Wow – check out this great blog and read some wonderful posts. Happy happy blogiversary Colleen.
- Creative Gene is 4 years old on Sunday, October 25, 2009! Stop by and wish Jasia well on this special day!
- You Are Where You Came From turns 1 on Monday, October 26, 2009. Stop by and get to know Katie Scarlett O’Hara (that’s her real name!)
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The Graveyard Rabbits Carnival is accepting entries for its 8th edition through Sunday, October 25th. This month’s challenge is to write your own epitaph in celebration of November 2nd as “Plan Your Own Epitaph Day.”
Genealogy Conferences This Week
- The 2nd Congress of Puerto Rican Genealogy will be held Thursday, October 22, 2009 through Sunday, October 25, 2009 in San Juan, PR.
- The Illinois State Genealogical Society Conference will be held on Saturday, October 24, 2009 in Elgin, IL.
- The Massachusetts Society of Genealogists Annual Meeting & Conference is taking place on Saturday, October 24, 2009 in Framingham, MA.
- The North Hills Genealogists Fall Conference will be held on Saturday, October 24, 2009 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- The Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain‘s 16th London Conference will be held Sunday, October 25, 2009 in London, England.
- Family History Expos begins its Family History Library Research Retreat being held Monday, October 26 through Saturday, October 31, in Salt Lake City, UT.
- The International Black Genealogy Summit is being held beginning Thursday, October 29 through Saturday, October 31, 2009 in Ft. Wayne, IN.
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
Can you tell that October is Family History Month? Take a look at all the genealogy bloggers making appearances around the country this coming week!
- Saturday, October 24, 2009 – Paula Stuart Warren, of Paula’s Genealogical Eclectica, is appearing at North Hills Genealogists Fall Conference in Pittsburgh, PA as the featured speaker.
- Saturday, October 24, 2009 – Blaine Bettinger, of The Genetic Genealogist, is appearing at the Windsor Historical Society in Windsor, CT. Blaine will be presenting Using DNA to Explore Your Ancestry at 9:00 am.
- Sunday, October 25, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circle Mending, is appearing at the Sunnyslope Cemetery Stroll in Corona, CA. Jean will be presenting Songs of the Civil War.
- Wednesday, October 28, 2009 – Randy Seaver, of Genea-Musings, is appearing at the Chula Vista Genealogical Society in Chula Vista, CA. Randy will be presenting Genealogy Vacations at 12:00 pm.
- Friday, October 30, 2009 – Angela Y. Walton-Raji, of African Roots Podcast, is appearing in Ft. Wayne, IN at the International Black Genealogy Summit. Angela will be presenting Avoiding Pitfalls in Native American Research at 10:00 am.
- Saturday, October 30, 2009 – Drusilla Pair, of Find Your Folks blog, is appearing in Ft. Wayne, IN at the International Black Genealogy Summit. Drusilla will be presenting The Power of Blogging at 1:00 pm.
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 737 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook with a big increase of 18 members since last week. In case you haven’t checked in at Facebook lately, check out the new look of the group page – complete with its own Wall for posting links to your blog posts, photos and more. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!
Remember we just added two new daily blogging themes - Follow Friday and Surname Saturday. Along with Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, and Treasure Chest Thursday these prompt can help you come up with ideas each day of the week for blog posts! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee