Here is a list of events, memes and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging and what’s happening in the coming week:
Treasure Chest Thursday
Leslie at the Lost Family Treasures blog has proposed a Treasure Chest Thursday daily blogging theme similar to Tombstone Tuesday and our other weekly themes. Treasure Chest Thursday would entail posting photos about a family tresure and sharing information in your blog post about the item. I think it is a great idea and several other genealogy bloggers have begun to follow along.
If there is enough interest, I will place this as a recurring event on the Geneabloggers Calendar and create a blogroll widget using Google Reader. It would be wonderful to have other genealogy bloggers participate in this event!
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The 78th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is accepting submissions through Saturday, August 15, 2009. The theme is “Ride ‘Em Cowboy- Share Your Pony Pictures” and you are invited to post on your blog about any photos with horses or ponies from your family album. Use the carnival submission form here to participate – the carnival is hosted by Jasia of Creative Gene.
- On Thursday, August 20, 2009 submissions for the 4th Edition of A Festival of Postcards are due. Hosted at A Canadian Family, the theme this month is water – post about any postcard in your collection that depicts water, bridges, maps, etc. Use the submission form A Festival of Postcards submission form to join in the fun.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
- Saturday, August 15, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing in Yucca Valley, CA at the Yucca Valley Family History Center. Jean will be presenting Graveyard Gumshoe.
- Saturday, August 15, 2009 – Drusilla Pair, of Find Your Folks blog, is appearing in Hampton, VA at Gosnolds Hope Park. Drusilla will be presenting From Slavery To Freedom.
- Saturday, August 15, 2009 – Miriam Robbins Midkiff, of AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors blog, is appearing in Spokane, WA at the Spokane Public Library. Miriam will be teaching two computer classes - Finding Your Ancestors In Online Census Records – Parts I and II.
- Sunday, August 16, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing in Coronoa, CA at the Corona Family History Center. Jean will be presenting Using The Family History Library Catalog.
- Friday, August 21, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing in Coronoa, CA at the Corona Genealogical Society. Jean will be presenting Getting (Genealogy) Information Through The Back Door.
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 657 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Check out Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #33: Highlight the good work of others. List your favorite posts of the week/month/year. This is an easy way to give some blog love and write an easy post. You can use this idea as little or as much as you want.
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!
Remember we have Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday as regular ongoing memes! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee