Google Reader Update and Changes This Week at GeneaBloggers

changes at geneabloggers

 

Here is an update on changes at GeneaBloggers due to the demise of Google Reader on July 1, 2013:

  • My RSS Feed Reader: I’ve decided to use Feedly (http://cloud.feedly.com) as my own personal RSS feed reader.  I’ve compared other programs and right now Feedly comes closest to replicating the Google Reader experience.  I’ve also seen improvements in terms of speed and access compared to last month when I first tried Feedly.
  • Google Alerts: One task is to migrate the tech blog feeds and Google Alerts over to Feedly.  I’ve done my research and determined that Feedly does not allow two accounts so I need to use categories to group those items for easier access.
  • Backing up Google Reader: As a backup so I don’t lose any information in the transition to Feedly, I’ve used the Google Reader export feature and opened the XML file in Notepad and pasted the contents into a Microsoft Word document where I am doing some cleanup. Tedious, yes, but it gives me peace of mind.
  • Blog Types: I am looking at several ways to consolidate multiple RSS Feeds into one feed and then use a mechanism to display those posts and blogs in a widget. I don’t want an open system where any spammer can submit their blog or post and have it appear. On my radar are Yahoo Pipes, ChimpFeeder and WidgetBox.
  • New blogs: For the next two weeks, I won’t be adding newly-discovered or submitted blogs to the list at GeneaBloggers until I set up a system and routine that works.

I’m hoping for as smooth a transition as possible, but members of GeneaBloggers and readers need to realize that there may be some glitches and hiccups along the way.

©2013, copyright Thomas MacEntee

Print Friendly

Comments

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...