[Note: this is the second in a series of posts about how to use Google Reader to susbcribe to and follow various genealogy blogs. I'll be using my personal settings used for close to 600 genealogy blogs followed by GeneaBloggers as examples.]
Using URL Address to Add a Subscription
If you already have a URL address for a genealogy blog, use the Add a Subscription function in Google Reader.
- Click Add a Subscription.
- Enter the URL address of the blog.
- Click Add. The main window of Google Reader will indicate that you are now subscribed to the blog.
Note: You may have to wait several seconds – up to even 30 seconds – for the subscription confirmation to appear. There is no “hour glass” or other “waiting” indicator.
Using Search Terms to Add a Subscription
If you don’t know the exact URL address of a blog or you want to explore the blogosphere for new blogs, use the search terms feature.
- Keep in mind that you don’t need the entire URL with “http://” – you can simply enter search terms and click Add.
- When using a search term, you may find more than one blog which matches your criteria. Locate the blog you want and click the Subscribe button.
- If your search criteria does not match any existing blog, you will be asked return to the Add a Subcription button and try again.
Google Reader – Getting Started
Next post: Subscribing Using A Blog’s RSS Feed Button
© 2009, copyright Thomas MacEntee